Cover Issues.

Posted by Sandra on Friday, March 1, 2013. Filed under: , , ,

Hello there, earlier today Stephanie Perkins, author of Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door,  tweeted:




So I got very very very very excited, and clicked in. I was dying to see the model they used for Isla... But what I read/saw wasn't what I expected.

Apparently, this series got new covers... For all three books. While Stephanie Perkins was really excited about it (and it totally get it, don't get me wrong) I was disappointed. The third and last book, will have a different cover from the previous ones. Bummer.

There's something about book series' covers that make me so happy, when you finally own them all you can give them an special place in your bookshelf, and I was planning on doing that with these books. I absolutely loved Anna and The French Kiss, and I liked Lola And The Boy Next Door very much. So I was am expecting Isla and The Happily Ever After to rock my world. The first two books have a nice cover, featuring a girl (the lead character: Anna, Lola) and a background that goes along perfectly with the plot, like the images below show:



And now, the *soon* to be published and highly anticipated Isla, will have this cover:


And I know it is a nice, classy, simple cover... I actually like it very much. But I don't like that now, my three books will not match. Maybe I'm over reacting, but this also happened to me with Beth Revis' "Across The Universe" trilogy. She changed the last book's cover, and then released new covers for the previous books. Leaving me with dysfunctional covers :(

Anyway, I totally understand why they did this. Perkins even adressed it on her blog; these new covers will have a wider appeal, because they won't look too girly anymore. And I'm here hoping that more people experience Anna's amazingness, and Stephanie Perkins beautiful writing style. 

Ps. After I rant about the change of covers, I might add, that I, Sandra, will buy the two new covers and of course, Isla, to have all three books looking so perfect from my bookshelf, because let's be honest, I would buy Stephanie's books even if they were cover-less. Check the image below to see the new covers:



They look so cute together, and I'm sure Isla will be amazing. So I can't wait for July, when the first two books (with the new covers) will be released, and then finally, this fall we'll finally read Isla and The Happily Ever After.

2 Responses to Cover Issues.

  1. Unknown

    My only problem with the covers is that they no longer have a fun YA vibe. Sure, appeal to wider audiences and what not, but I still find them too serious. I wouldn't pick it off the shelf, because I'd expect some tragic, moralizing type of story. That's how serious they look to me.

  2. Sandra

    Hi Amy! I agree with you, they're not longer teen-ish. I don't think the covers really suit the stories, and yeah, I didn't think about that until I read your comment, but they look kind of adult drama. And what about the font and shapes (heart, star, rose)?

Leave a Reply

HOLA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...