A pleasant surprise...

Posted by Sandra on Saturday, January 5, 2013. Filed under: , , , ,

Title: Warm Bodies
Series: Warm Bodies, #1

Author: Isaac Marion
Pages: 240
Published: 2010

Read In: 2011
Rating: 4.5/5



Hi guys, I'm pretty sure you've all read some mix reviews about Warm Bodies and, if you are looking forward to the movie you're probably asking yourself: Is this worth reading?

Let me tell you it is. I can't believe how much I liked Warm Bodies 


Most of the times I don't really care about bad reviews given to books I wanna read because I believe that we all have different judgement when it comes to literature. And so many people said this book was terrible, that the idea of zombie romance was stupid and that it would be a waste of time; so I wasn't sure if I should give it a go... But a little voice in my head said "Come on, sometimes you like books other people hate, or viceversa, so why not?"


Thank you little voice in my head. Thank you

Warm Bodies was a provoking, interesting, very entertaining, romantic and meaningful story for me. WOW, I never saw this coming. I was a bit skeptical too about this zombie romance thing, I thought it would be a bit Twilight-esque, so color me surprised when I was proven wrong.

This is "R's" story. R is a zombie and he can't remember anything about his human life nor how he was converted. He lives in an airport with hundreds of zombies and his zombie friend M. But he's different from all his other undead fellows... He thinks a lot, actually he over-thinks. One day, he's hungry and he goes to the city to find some food and he kills Perry Kelvin, so for an instant, while he is eating his brain, R watches vividly fragments of Perry's life, and he recognizes the girl in front of them as Julie, Perry's girlfriend, and he felt human, and developed some interesting feelings for Julie. So he takes her with him to the airport and start a weird (not as upsetting as i expected), amazing friendship, that later becomes pure love. 

There's not too much action (which I was expecting), but there's a great story line... The ending wasn't strictly "the end", it was more of "to be continued", which I liked very much. I do not know if there's going to be a second book, or if this was it, but it was a great read.

R was an amazing character, you can't help but loving him. He has so many life philosophies, he likes Frank Sinatra, he wants to be "more", reading from his POV was very interesting and refreshing. Julie was great too, I think she was very well written, she felt real. Her "dark past" made her who she is right now, she's complex, fun and a dreamer. I really liked both of them. As for their romance, I can only say:Awwwwww So sweet. Actually it was one of the sweetest I've ever read. So heartwarming, and romantic, without being to cheesy and annoying... 

"Her eyes were classic novels and poetry" 
Trés romantique.

This wasn't a love story, actually it was a story about love. It teaches how to love yourself, how to love the ones around you and the world you live in. This book has a powerful message. What is humanity? What makes us human? Are we "living" just because we are "alive"? There were many life metaphors that I liked, and it made me think a lot about how we expect the world to be a nice place instead of doing something to achieve it. 

A new insight to a zombie's mind, hilarity, romanticism, impotence for not being able to express yourself, hopeful and it makes you think, it really makes you think. Unexpectedly fun, romantic and overwhelming, with a message for all of us to understand and accept, Warm Bodies definitely became one of my favourite books. 

I also found this movie fact, which I think it's pretty cool: The film is based loosely on "Romeo and Juliet". "R" = "Romeo"; "Julie" = "Juliet; "Perry" = "Paris"; "M/Marcus" = "Mercutio"; "Nora" = Juliet's "Nurse" (the character of Nora is also a nurse).

No Responses to A pleasant surprise...

Leave a Reply

HOLA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...