Beautiful Disappointment

Posted by Sandra on Thursday, January 3, 2013. Filed under: , , , , ,

Title: Beautiful Creatures
Series: Caster Chronicles, #1
Author(s): Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Pages: 563
Published: 2009
Read In: 2012
Rating: 3/5

I really craved a story with a male POV and I wasn't sure enough if I would like this one.

Turns out, I was wrong. Sort of.

This was thrilling, romantic and incredibly interesting.

Color me surprised when I was reading this book and I immediately started to do some research about U.S.A wars (I'm not from the USA), I had never been interested in that topic before... Until I started reading Beautiful Creatures. It was very exciting, sometimes tad confusing, because of the constant change of scenarios and too much information, but it was so refreshening to read from Ethan's point of view.

May I say Ethan Wate is one of my "I'd like to marry with" characters? Well, no entirely because sometimes I felt like I was reading from a girl's POV, maybe that's why I related so much... But still, he is not described as a super smoking drop dead gorgeous guy, he's just attractive, and he has an amazing personality... Personally, I think we would get along, because sometimes it felt like I was reading about myself, we're too alike. He had this sad past, and ambitions and dreams of leaving that sad little town, he didn't have an easy life, he was kind of lost... At least, until he met Lena.

Lena Duchannes , what a lovely name. I didn't LOVE her, but she was very agreeable and kind of cute in a weird way. Sometimes I felt the character was just meh, and other times she thrilled me.

Lena & Ethan, such a beautiful romance, in my personal opinion this is one of the corniest yet cutest romances I've read, because it had love, acceptance, sacrifice, willingness to do everything for each other, chemistry and yet it wasn't overwhelming and annoying. I loved them together.

The other characters were just okay. Amma was a strong character, but nothing new to me. No one is memorable for me so far, well maybe Link and Macon... I have a weakness for Mick Jagger wannabe's and antisocial-dream-sucker-uncles.

I hope to learn more about Ethan's mom, she seems a great character.

I loved the literary references: "To Kill a Mockingbird", "The Catcher in the Rye", Hemingway, Frost, Luther King, Bradbury.

There were some really memorable quotes, at least for me, two of my favourites being:

"There’s something about sitting alone in the dark that reminds you how big the world really is, and how far apart we all are. The stars look like they’re so close, you could reach out and touch them. But you can’t. Sometimes things look a lot closer than they are.

and

“I never loved you any more than I do, right this second. And I'll never love you any less than I do, right this second.” 

It was fun, exciting and magical! A great story about love, lies, magic and sacrifice. It was very original and really entertaining (at least after 100 pages). It was a lot to digest, but I liked it.

I gave it 3 stars because sometimes it was hard for me to keep up with the story, all the information being processed and understood, but that didn't make it less enjoyable.



2 Responses to Beautiful Disappointment

  1. Isobel Walsh

    i really liked BC. its weird because i dont read ya lit, but it was cool. heard its gonna be a movie? mind posting a trailer or movie deets?

  2. Sandra

    Hi Isobel! Yes, it wasn't exactly mu cup of tea but it was good. Yes, the movie comes out in February! I will post about it :) Nite.

Leave a Reply

HOLA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...