Seventh Row: "Beautiful Creatures"

Posted by Sandra on Thursday, February 28, 2013. Filed under: , , , ,

Hello everyone, I watched "Beautiful Creatures" the movie this weekend. I read the book last year, and I was a bit conflicted about it; I liked it very much, but it wasn't exactly one of my favorite books. Still, I will never miss an opportunity to watch a movie based on a book... And I emphasize based because this movie has almost nothing to do with the book.... 

Warning! This review contain many spoilers. 

Let me start with the characters:

Ethan Wate was portrayed by Alden Ehrenreich, which in my opinion was right for the role. I never expected Ethan to be drop dead gorgeous (which I liked very much) and Alden is handsome, just like Ethan was in my head. I think he did a great job, he made me laugh, shed one or two tears and I loved the way he narrated the story. 

Lena Duchannes... Oh, well... She wasn't my favorite character on the book, but I really expected her to be more. She was portrayed by Alice Englert, whom (in my opinion) is not very much alike to Lena. Lena was meant to be absolutely gorgeous, and Alice was pretty but it ends there. She wasn't as charming as I thought Lena should be, but I ended up enjoying her in the movie. Kind of. 

Link was absolutely perfect. For me, one of the only two characters that were truly how I imagined. He was cute, fun, and charming. I would've liked to see him perform with his band, but still, Thomas Mann did a great job. He was my favorite character from the movie, but I found incredibly stupid that he shoot Ethan, I mean, why? It was predictable and lame.

Macon Ravenwood is the other character which I think it was portrayed perfectly by the incredible Jeremy Irons. Oh, Irons is one of my favorite actors and I was thrilled to see him as Macon. I reckon he did a great job, but I blame whoever wrote the script for some in-congruencies. 

Amma... I was terribly affected by the decision of kind of mixing Amma's and Marian's character into one, excluding Marian from the movie. I think Viola Davis was amazing, but I wanted to see Marian on screen.

I know that sometimes producers and script writers have to cut off some characters in order to have a fast paced and entertaining movie, without overwhelming the audience with tons of characters, but what the hell happened to Marian, Sarafine (after she leaves Mrs. Lincoln's body) and my beloved Boo Radley????? Also, some scenes were excluded, such as the Winter Ball (bummer). And most importantly, they excluded one of my favorite things from the book... The mental connection between Ethan and Lena. 

They changed a lot of things from the books, and left out some very important stuff, that people who've never read the book should've known. Some friends thought the movie was full of non-sense and bad. I think that with the right script, it would've been awesome. 

And what to say about that ending? GOD, how the hell are they planning to start the second movie with that horrible ending? Unless they're not making a second movie, and this was a stand-alone... And if this is the case, they could've done better, to give it a closure. 

I really hope that there's a second movie (Beautiful Darkness) in the works, and I hope that its better than this failed attempt to make a good adaptation. 

That being said, I have to say, that I thought the movie was entertaining. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it... too much. I thought that for a person who has read the book, it was bad.

If you haven't seen it yet and you've read the book, you won't be pleased. But hey, let me know what did you think about it. 

No Responses to Seventh Row: "Beautiful Creatures"

Leave a Reply

HOLA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...