YA Perfection!

Posted by Sandra on Thursday, January 24, 2013. Filed under: , , , , ,

Title: Across The Universe
Series: Across The Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Pages: 398
Published: 2011
Read In: January, 2013
Rating: 5/5


This book is pure YA perfection. Woah, I'm still blown away... That ending!!!


Let me start by saying that "Across The Universe" was a surprise for me. I had this book on my possession since early 2012 but I didn't wanted to read it until the second and third book were out, because I heard it was that good. Now, I finally read it, and I never ever expected this.

The story was full of mystery, intrigue, secrets and doubts, it was all about the secrets in Godspeed (the ship). The setting was so original and unique, that I had the time of my life visualizing it in my head. At the beginning I wasn't too thrilled about the whole spaceship thing, but then I fell in love with the whole concept. It's definitely something different from what I've read. Everything was creative and well described. Some things I found a bit predictable and some others REALLY took me by surprise, so it was very interesting to read it. 

The story is narrated from two pov's. Amy's and Elder's. And it worked wonderfully. 

Elder was an incredibly real character, he was very well written, while I read from his pov I could totally ask myself the same questions and think what he was thinking. He was a good person, but sometimes he had his "doubts" like everyone else does, and still he always did the right thing... Well, almost always. There was something poetic about him and the way he saw the world around him, and how he saw Amy. He wasn't conceited like Eldest, and he had dreams and a big heart. I never got bored while reading from his pov. He was lovely, sweet and brave. A true leader. And that shocker at the end (you must read it, I will not spoil it for you) made him more real to me, because he was flawed, of course, but still he was great.

Wish I could say the same thing about Amy... At the very beginning I found her quite annoying and not very smart. This changed through the story, but I wasn't entirely connected to her by the end of the book. She was clever and kinda cute, but not my favorite character. I think she was very mature for her age, which I liked very much, because I didn't hate the way he managed everything that happened to her... And it was a lot. She wasn't as eloquent, romantic and fun as Elder, but she was a strong female character, and you don't find those often in YA. So I did liked her.

Harley was one of my favourite characters of the book. Such complexity expressed through art... My kind of guy. So I really want Harley to know, that he was the star for me.

The romance was cute. It wasn't cheesy nor annoying, but I wish there was more of it. Elder has strong feelings for her, and she's still confused because she misses Jason but I think that we'll read more about their love in the sequel, which I'm starting ASAP!

Some quotes gave me the chills and other just made me sigh.

“Power isn’t control at all — power is strength, and giving that strength to others. A leader isn’t someone who forces others to make him stronger; a leader is someone willing to give his strength to others that they may have the strength to stand on their own.”

“And in her smile I see something more beautiful than the stars.”

Thrilling, interesting, creative and mind-blowing, "Across The Universe" is a MUST read. PLUS: Take a look at that cover and try to resist...

No Responses to YA Perfection!

Leave a Reply

HOLA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...