Cassandra Clare did it again!

Posted by Sandra on Sunday, March 10, 2013. Filed under: , , , ,

Title: Clockwork Angel
Series: The Infernal Devices
Author: Cassandra Clare
Pages: 476
Published: 2010
Read In: March, 2013
Rating: 5/5

This was certainly worth the wait... I've had this book on my bookshelf since 2011. And I just read it yesterday. I read so many reviews where people were desperate for the sequel, and how it wasn't gonna be out until another year. So I decided to read Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince a few days before Clockwork Princess was published. And since CP will be out in 9 days, I thought it was about time. I read this book in 13 hours. That being said....

BY THE ANGEL

Cassie Clare is definitely a master in making me happy. And mad too. I absolutely loved this story. It was incredibly original, and very entertaining. One of the many reasons I've been a fan of Clare's work is because she always manage to describe everything so carefully, yet simply, and I can see it all vividly in my head. She transported me to victorian England, and I really made up a whole movie about the story in my mind.

Another thing I loved about the story, were the characters and their names. Everyone has a really lovely name. Very classy and also very british. Let's start with my favorite.

William Herondale... sigh Doesn't he sound like a prince? Well, for me, he does. He was by far my favorite character in the whole book. Not only because he was described as an extremely attractive guy and the fact that he is british (well maybe) but there was something about him, that really got me. He was very strong but also vulnerable. He has a dark past and some secrets he doesn't share, he feels alone in the world. Of course he is kind of a douche, he's a Herondale... But I believe that there's a good reason why. Also I think that the reason why he treats Tessa like he does has to do with something important. Can't wait to read about it in Clockwork Prince. With complexity, darkness, looks, vulnerability, big heart, bad ass attitude, the way he quoted poetry, his soul and blue eyes, he stole my heart. Team Will

Now, Tessa Gray, our lead character. At the beginning I didn't quite love her, because she didn't like London and she hated chocolate... 

“Will looked horrified. "What kind of monster could possibly hate chocolate?”

I know Will, I know... Like how could I ever relate to someone like that? But hey, I was wrong. She was a sweet heart, so brave, so clever and so, so, so sweet. I liked her power and her incredibly big heart. I look forward to reading more about her, and I hope that she doesn't get her heart broken, because she has already suffered too much. I love Tess.

Jem... James Carstairs... Hmmm. Although I didn't LOVE Jem, I did like him. He was a complete gentleman, so lovely, and he had a very sad past. I think that he holds back so many things, because no one can ever be so nice to everyone, and so calm, but besides that, I really really liked him. He was very sweet to Tessa and he was also wise. I just hope he doesn't dies in the next books, I hope they find a cure.
Jesamine Lovelace was very funny, I felt truly bad for her, because she is miserable. She lives a life she hates and despite her shallowness and cold attitude she was great. Charlotte also had a sad past and that made her a though woman, she really was bad ass... And Henry, well, he reminded me of Arthur Weasley, which means that I totally loved him.

The love triangle wasn't practically clear here, since Tessa only has strong feelings towards Will, so I guess that there's more to come. Both guys are handsome, sweet in their own way, and they both had a tragic past. The difference is how each one chose to handle it, and how to live with it. 

As in The Mortal Instruments, there were several things that reminded me of Harry Potter. Like the rune they used to spy/listen to the enclave, reminded me of the Weasley's extendable ears; when Tessa changes into Lady Belcourt to uncover De Quincey, it kind of felt like when Ron, Harry and Hermione drank polyjuice potion to change into Ministry workers, and Henry, who was very similar to Mr. Weasley. 
This book was better than TMI, I reckon. The setting was stunning, London in the 1880's. A remarkable work of Clare, her plot was original and kept me hanging on with every single word she wrote. I wish I lived there and I wish I had that library, oh my.

Spoiler
I found very obvious who the Magister was, Mortmain had something that made me suspect, plus his name sounded like Valentine's last name... It made sense to me... But that I never ever imagined that plot twist at the last chapters... Tessa's brother was evil :( He was Mortmains servant, and everyone believed in him... Poor Tessa. 

End of Spoiler

Honestly, I was very excited for this book, but I never expected it to hit me like it did. 

My favorite quotes were:

“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” 

and

“Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry.”

An intriguing and romantic story, with amusing characters that never gets boring. This is now one of my favorites, and I'm starting Clockwork Prince ASAP.

No Responses to Cassandra Clare did it again!

Leave a Reply

HOLA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...